March 6, 2013

#1361 coalescence

i used to go with my dad to his work at night when he worked overtime at a job he didn't like
his hands were and are magic
able to fix trucks so big they needed special doors to fit them inside the garage
when he would weld he would tell me to look away
but sometimes i had to sneak peeks and steal glances
because his concentration was a beautiful thing
i had to look
because his focus caused sparks and light to ignite
between his hands and the object of his attention

that is how i am with you
your smile changes the sunlight on a summer day
changes the glow in our bed of the alarm clock
illuminates the miraculous magic in an ordinary moment
you are the extra in my life that makes the ordinary
extraordinary
your smile for life
is the rush that i'd get when watching my Dad build something from wood
that moment an hour into the creation process when i realized what the creation would be
your smile lights up the long-dark places in my being
being dark from not seeing light for decades
dirt basement rooms in old abandoned houses

the arc between your smile and my dark rooms
makes me smile in my sleep
makes me smile in my sleep
makes me smile in my sleep

No comments:

Post a Comment