March 15, 2010

#353 watching the oven door









rickety ladders and i climb apple trees
ladders greyed by wind and rain and time
tiptoeing from an upper rung
i roll the stem into my thumb
separating apple from tree
adding to my sobey's bag

i walk up the hill
the porch enters me into the kitchen
mum exclaims at my loot
locates her paring knife and two big bowls
adds salt and water for the pie parts
the empty one for jelly ingredients

an hour later
i perform my other part of pie-making
choo-choo fork tracks
allowing heat to escape in the oven
then she spits on them with butter
an old family trick

deep-dish pies enter the oven
and i smile
old enough to enter the woods alone
young enough to stare through a translucent door at an oven light
wishing time would bring me fresh pie just a bit faster

No comments:

Post a Comment